Monday 7 June 2010

LMG interview with Stella Im Hultberg


In preparation for our upcoming exhibition, London Miles Gallery has interviewed the majority of the artists exhibiting in THE NEXT GENERATION group show. Most of the artist interviews and profiles can be found in the Exhibition Catalogs here.

Here is an interview we recently conducted with New York based artist, Stella Im Hultberg and a peek at the artwork she created for the exhibition.


What is your artistic background?

I studied industrial design in college and worked as a product designer of toys, furniture and other consumer products. But as an artist, I'm self-taught.


I mostly do paintings in various mediums, and am experimenting with sculptural works as of late.


What medium do you use or prefer?

I used to prefer oil mostly but I have learned to enjoy all medium for each of their unique nature & qualities. Lately most of my works have been mixed media of oil, acrylic, graphite, watercolor, and clay & wood sculpture.


Who or what are your inspirations?

Inspiration comes in all shapes and forms, mostly they're ideas that spring from things my mind wanders through daily. Sometimes it's books, stories, or film, or other artist's works - although if I had to find an underlying common thread, it's always about people and their lives. Mythologies are a great source of ideas as well.


Have you showed your work in Europe or The United Kingdom before?

If no, how do you feel about showing here for the first time and alongside this group of artists?

I have never shown in the UK or Europe before, and I'm excited.

I'm never sure what to think of audiences when I'm in the creating process (whether to keep them in mind or not is always a battle) but it never ceases to amaze me to meet new pool of people that appreciate art. I'm always blown away by the support, wherever the location may be, and am ever so grateful.

I am truly honored to have been invited to join this group of artists. It's a shame to not be able to see all the works in person!


7. Do you think there is a similar potential for growth for yourself and for the art movement in the UK as in The US, what do you feel are the main barriers or obstacles?


- I really do hope so - I'm not really sure what the art scene is like in the UK (not that I know it well here in the US). I personally don't see any difference in terms of creating works whether it's for the US or the UK shows. I just try to focus on what I'm creating and where I'm going with it, and maybe that's not the right way to work, but it's the only way I know how without betraying myself.

I hope that there will be something universal in what I create that can connect to people no matter where they're from.


Have you ever had an large artistic block and how did you overcome it?

I get artistic blocks only because I'm thinking of other things or other people. I just try to focus on what I want to say or put out there. I go through phases of self-doubt even in one small painting. I just take it as a normal creative process for myself, then it doesn't seem as daunting.

Of course, the very though of those "phases" of my creative processes are out there in the world permanently really gives me a panic attack sometimes.


What are your goals or aims you want to achieve with your art?

I'm not sure about the specifics yet and this is a question I'm always struggling with. I think I am always chasing that specific fragment of memories and emotions that pass through us like electricity, as vague as that may sound. (It doesn't sound like a 'goal' either).

Ultimately, I would like to be an artist that can build an honest body of work in the purest manner for as long as I can keep it that way. I don't care to be known for a style or technique, but I hope to be able to contain some ideas that I truly am at peace with.


What advice would you give to the Next Generation of UK artists that what to succeed in this

art genre?

Unfortunately, I am not sure that I deserve to give any advice. I am always struggling myself to figure out where I am most of the time.

But for any artist in any genre, I think it's important to really put yourself in it and struggle and work hard. And not do it for anything else but the love and joy of creating art itself in a manner you believe in - not for money, fame, or even honor. Otherwise it's going to be a tough road, I think!


Thanks Stella!


No comments:

Post a Comment